Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Strange But Beautiful Dream

I just awoke from a strange but beautiful dream. I met an odd group of people living hidden among humans. Each had a type of creature or element that they cared for and nourished which in turn gave them a great gift. The lives of the people and the things they cared for were intertwined and they lived much longer than normal humans, possibly forever.

One day, a few of us "normal" people found a book of music, famous songs from long ago, but the words printed with them were not the same as we now know, and definitely not the same wonderful quality as the music. It didn't take long for us to discover that the composer of all of these songs was a single woman, one that we knew, one of the people with the creatures. We later learned that the songwriter's husband's gift was to make things with his hands and his hands had written the wonderful words we now sing those tunes to.

Eventually we learned that it wasn't us and them. Those of us that were not like them simply were not aware of our creatures/elements yet. Since we weren't feeding, nourishing, and caring for them, they couldn't help us be all we could be.

3 of us newbies moved in with the couple, but we had to divide the house carefully into territories for each of our creatures so that we didn't accidentally hurt any of the creatures that were literally everywhere, growing and developing. (For some reason, we wouldn't accidentally step on one of our own.)

One day, I went to the piano and found one of the songwriter's creatures stuck between the keys. We had no idea how it got there. As the songwriter's husband carefully removed it, I learned that they had lived and worked together long enough that he understood her creatures almost as well as his own. The creature was badly damages, the upper portions nearly shredded. She held it tenderly. I thought it was hopeless and that we would lose this one. She began singing Eric Thiman's Spring Wind, and then her husband joined her. Soon I was singing too. (I don't know if there is a 3 part version of this, but there was in my dreams and it was gorgeous.) As we sang, I watched the energy and love in the music flow into the creature. Through music, we were literally bringing it back to life. We reached the cadence at the end of one of the verses, and I woke up.

I've been disappointed before with dreams ending before I wanted them to, but this was the first time I have felt a loss, almost cheated because I didn't get to finish being part of that beauty we were creating.

But the truth is, although I didn't get to finish that song, I'm creating that beauty every single day. The children of great composers and lyricists sit before me every day. Through my own singing, and through teaching others how to love these songs, I am literally breathing life into their cherished creations.



-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment