Sunday, January 29, 2012

We Can Change

Often in the scriptures, we read about prophets or others that were told by God to "cry repentance". I've always read that as "Go tell them all the things they are doing wrong, and that they'd better change or else." History shows that unfortunately I was not the only person that read it that way. I chose to just avoid missionary work, but others in their zeal have committed great atrocities and called it "crying repentance." No wonder they stoned the prophets.

Now, in all fairness, not everyone responded to the command this way. There are some wonderful, loving, kind people who work hard to share what they believe is the truth.

Today at church, a scripture that I've heard probably hundreds of times was read, and I had a light bulb moment. What if God meant "Tell them that it gets better. Tell them that change is possible."?

What would happen if that was the message that people were sharing instead of saying, "You are a sinner because you (fill in the blank)"?

What if we looked for people that were hurting and asked what we could do to help them move forward, rather than finding someone who is committing a "sin" and telling them to quit being evil?

I've always had a strong belief in the ability of people to make positive changes in their lives. Though most statistics disagree, I believe that given the right support, criminals can change and become productive citizens. I believe that the mistakes of our past don't condemn us to walk that path forever. We can change. And that is what repentance means, refining and redefining who we are and who we want to be.

And that is the Gospel according to Jeannine.




-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment