Sunday, February 26, 2012

Weak Things Made Strong

I stayed home from church today to get some rest after my long week. But God, the Universe, and my own brain decided that I needed a little inspiration anyway. At a moment I least expected it, I thought these words, "I am willing to bear this burden if my doing so opens the door for other people to find what they need." I don't want to go into all the details of which burden I was considering. It's not important here. And even though the words in print look a little co-dependent, that was not the feeling at all. It was pure love.

Then I thought of two scriptures. The first is in Ether 12:27 in the Book of Mormon.

27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them theiraweakness. I bgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men that dhumble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make eweak things become strong unto them.

I have always read that as meaning that if we become humble and teachable (and in this case, willing to trust in the Lord) we can overcome, even excel at the weak things in our lives. Perhaps that was the meaning Ether intended, but it made me think of Paul's words to the Corinthians. (For those of you that are not religious, simply substitute "Love" when it says "Christ". For the religious among you that think that is sacrilege, Christ is love, and love is the power through which all God does is accomplished.)

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My agrace is sufficient for thee: for mybstrength is made perfect in cweakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may drest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in ainfirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in bpersecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am cweak, then am I dstrong.

I'm not sure that I'm at the stage of glorying in my infirmities, or taking pleasure in them, but sometimes I am thankful for them. The difficult things I've been through give me unique insights into the struggles of others. I am in a position to make a difference in a way that people who have not had my challenges cannot. My weakness actually gives me an edge.

I am strong because I am weak.



No comments:

Post a Comment