Saturday, January 21, 2012

Switching to Self-preservation Mode

Although the end of January and early February is usually a relatively calm time in my life, somehow this year I've managed to get myself extremely overcommitted. I have 5 new students, plus one that is returning after a break. That is awesome because I need the money, but scheduling them has been a little tricky, especially with the new Tai Chi classes I'm taking. I also have several students recording videos for a competition and I told them I would accompany them. That adds practice time for me, plus recording time to my schedule. Then there is this faculty recital that I have been pushing for for years, so I can't really back out. I'm singing two solos and the big ensemble piece that all of us are doing. I know the rep, but I'm still recovering from an illness (or several) that started on Jan. 1. I've got a lesson to give in church tomorrow, and a convention committee meeting on Friday that I need to do some major preparation for. Yesterday I thought my head was going to explode, so I came home from work, had some chocolate, did some Tai Chi and Qigong and went to bed early. Because of not being able to breathe well, coughing, and probably the chocolate, last night was a series of bizarre nightmares.

Anyway...I'm switching into self-preservation mode so I can make it through to Feb. 4, when I can begin stressing over a whole other set of issues. Self-preservation mode helps me survive, but sometimes the people around me don't appreciate it much. The thing is, if I don't take care of me right now, the things other people need and want from me won't be done well anyway. So, if I say no,or don't get something done according to your timeline, know that in the long run, it really is for the best.

Self-preservation mode means:
1. Being at work ready to give focused attention to my students, but not going to get them from choir or study halls if they forget to come. If they don't make the effort to come to me, I can fill that time in many other ways.
2. Not opening extra times for makeup lessons beyond the usual hours I am at school.
3. Saying no to extra events and responsibities.
4. Making Tai Chi a priority because it helps me mentally and physically.
5. Not feeling guilty about a messy house, because right now I need rest more than I need a clean house.
6. Making sure I get plenty of water and protein, and limiting sugar.
7. Keeping track of deadlines.
8. Being OK with just doing what is absolutely necessary at the moment and letting the rest wait.

I will get through this. I have before, and will likely have many situations like this to deal with in the future. Be patient with me, and all will work out in the end.




-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment