Monday, December 21, 2009

New insights

I love how songs, scriptures, books, etc. speak to us based on where we are in our lives and what experiences we've had. It might mean one thing when you are 15, and something totally different at 35.

Matthew 11:28-30 has always been one of my favorite scriptures, but yesterday as I read it, I found a new truth.
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

I've always focused on the idea of the yoke--a way that Christ can share our burdens and make them easier. But yesterday in church, either the woman speaking skipped verse 29 or I wasn't listening closely, which is definitely a possibility, and without verse 29, I heard the truth that I was ready for.

I have a whole list of unwritten rules that carry way too much weight in my life, and I'm slowly trying to reframe them to healthier "rules". Two of those old rules are:
1. Don't get in the way.
2. Don't be a burden to anyone.
I can force myself to endure quite a lot in order to avoid burdening anyone else. As I heard verse 30, the thought came to me Christ can handle it. He can take on my burdens as well. That's not to say that what he did was easy, but I don't need to worry about "overloading" Him or pushing him over the edge. He can take it.

I'm the worst person in the world when it comes to asking for help, but it's nice to know that there is someone that won't feel overburdened by my requests.

No comments:

Post a Comment