Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Day--My Life

Some people might think that a list of what I did today is not all that exciting or thought provoking. And they are right, but as I thought back on the ups and downs of this day, I realized that today is a snapshot of my life. If I had to describe my life overall, today would be a pretty good description. Stick with me here and hopefully things will get clearer.

I only pushed snooze twice this morning before finally turning the alarm off and the light on. I didn't really want to face the day yet, so instead of getting up, I grabbed my iPhone and checked the school closings on the news website. The list was huge, so I scrolled down to the R's to look for our district. I couldn't believe it when our district was on the list. I had to check the district website and my own school email before I felt OK about not getting ready for work. Then I was so excited I couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up with big plans to accomplish a lot today.

I tend to be wary of good news and check it out before I let myself get excited. I'm not sure why I do that, but it is a part of who I am. I also tend to get really excited about things early on and sometimes give myself too much to accomplish.

When I checked my email on my phone, I realized that I needed to immediately take care of something that I needed to do on the computer and not on the phone. A few hours later, I had checked Facebook (several times), Goodreads, and email and had caught up on all my blog reading. I had also found a great Christmas present idea on one of the blogs and worked on that for awhile too.

It's easy for me to get sucked into lots of other things which means I'm usually working on several projects at the same time. I will also almost always choose computer work (or play) over housework.

But, my bathroom floor really needed to be cleaned, so it cooked up a devious little plan with the toilet to get my attention. Maybe the washer was in on it too, I'm not sure. Anyway, when the toilet ran over, I handled it calmly and quickly grabbed the bleachable towels and threw them on the floor. They were super absorbent so it didn't take long to clean up the mess. The towels went straight from the floor to the washer and became the first load of laundry for the day. I figured that as long as I had to scrub the floor, I might as well do it right and clean the baseboards too. The toilet, floor, baseboards, and washer are all much happier now knowing that I still care about them.

I really handled the whole toilet thing quite well. Sometimes in life things happen that we wish didn't, and you can either do something about it or let it create bigger problems.

I also trimmed my nails today and put oil on my awful looking cuticles. Then I did several cleaning projects that involved getting my hands wet or needing to wash them several times.

Sometimes we try to do a good thing (the oil), and the rest if life undoes it. Actually that seems to be a theme in my life. The important part is that I tried. Maybe I'll try again just before bed.

Today I ran the dishwasher AND put the dishes away when it was done. Isn't there some law against that? Like the law that leftovers can't be thrown away immediately but must be refrigerated until fuzzy and then thrown away. Or the law that if you are folding towels while watching TV, you must hold each towel for a minimum if 2 minutes before actually folding it and picking up another.

I totally expected Murphy's law to kick in when I went out to shovel the snow. Here's the thing--I'm not supposed to have to shovel it. I rent and in the lease it says they will take care of snow removal. It doesn't say when. The first plow came through in the morning, but since the people whose garages are next to mine park outside of the garages, the plow didn't cut in to clean out the space in front if my garage. It's a good thing I didn't have to go to work today. There is no way I could have got the car out through the massive drift in front of the door. So this afternoon when there was only an hour of daylight left, I put on 3 pairs of pants, two sweaters, my coat, and two pairs of gloves and went out to shovel. I'm surprised I could move with all I was wearing to stay warm, but I got the job done. That was the point when I expected Murphy's law to kick in. The plow should have been there right as I finished, but it wasn't. It still hasn't come.

So what did I learn from this? Murphy doesn't have power over everything in my life! Yeah! This is also representative of how I deal with most hard things. I would rather do it myself than call to complain, or ask someone to help me. It's not always a good thing, but I have learned that there isn't much I can't do by myself if I really try.

So, that was my day. What did you do?


-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment