Saturday, November 21, 2009

Why the Christmas Gifts This Year Will Be Cheap (I Mean Inexpensive)

Someday I hope to be financially able to spend a lot of money on my family and friends for Christmas. But it's not happening this year. Once again, the "big" presents will be things that the rich people I work for would call "stocking stuffers". If you're disappointed in your gift, here's why I couldn't spend more--in recent months I've been spending a lot of money taking care of me and my business and my home.

July--Purchased iPhone for my studio. Not cheap, but oh so worth it.
October--Car repairs. Stupid little things. The parts weren't much. It was the labor that made the bill so big.
--I had the furnace and furnace ducts cleaned. The same company also cleaned the bird's nest and all the backed up lint out of my dryer vent.
--Paid for the expensive, "empowered water" people to come clean my carpets. Yes, the carpets are cleaner and no chemicals were involved, but I'm not sure it's amazing enough to pay that price again.
November--The Dentist. At least it was only a cleaning, check-up and oral cancer screening. But $200??? And that was with the discount for paying that day. I should just be glad I can put off the crowns awhile longer. After reviewing my sleep study from couple of years ago, the dentist also recommended a splint to wear at night to help with the snoring. I said I'd wait on that. I sleep alone and the neighbors aren't banging on the walls yet.
--I still need to buy a plane ticket to WA which won't be cheap.

I'm really not complaining. Life is expensive. I know that. I just want you to know that your small and inexpensive, but meaningful gift was chosen because I am broke, not because I don't love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment