Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

I know. I know. I win the prize for most original blog title today.
I've spent most of the day being lazy--sleeping, eating, a little writing, but basically taking it easy. And it needed it.

And now I start the part of my day where I really celebrate Thanksgiving. A week or two ago, I wrote about an email I had received about not taking Christ out of Christmas. Today I address the people that want to take Thanksgiving out of Thanksgiving. OK, probably no one really does, but I hate calling it Turkey Day. First of all, my family also has a turkey for Christmas and sometimes even for New Year's so calling Thanksgiving Day Turkey Day doesn't really make it a unique and special holiday. And, why do so many of us just eat turkey for the holidays. Turkey is a great low fat protein source that we could be eating year round.

And if I argue that we shouldn't have one day set aside just for Turkeys, perhaps I should remind myself that we shouldn't have just one day set aside for giving thanks either.

So, here are some things that I am thankful for. The list isn't complete, but it does contain things that are important to me at this moment.

I am thankful for music.
I am thankful for technology that allows me to connect with people across the world that share similar goals, values, and desires.
I am thankful for choices.
I am thankful for the chance to start over.
I am thankful for the blessing of seeing the world and all in it as inseparably connected.
I am thankful for people that reach out and share of their abundance.
I am thankful for a home, a bed to sleep in, food to eat. It's easy to compare what I have to what I want and feel deprived, but I have so much more than so many people in the world.
I am thankful that I was taught to love others regardless of whether or not I agree with the choices they make in their lives.
I am thankful for an example of giving without thought of the personal risk or consequences.
I am thankful for family and friends that love me, even when I am not being very lovable.
I am thankful for a job I love and a chance to share something I love with my students.
I am thankful for the beauty of nature, and the opportunity to remember that it doesn't have to be a sun-shiny day with bright flowers to be beautiful.
I am thankful for teachers, both those that teach as a profession, and those that have just been at the right place and the right time to help me learn something important.

Now I'm off to do more celebrating.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment