Sunday, December 30, 2012

Perspective

"How Firm a Foundation" is one of my favorite hymns.  For years, it has given me comfort and encouragement, reminding me that I have someone in my corner.  Many of the verses are clearly from God's perspective.

Fear not, I am with thee;  oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.  

Recently I've been thinking about how we are God's hands here on earth.  We are the ones that do his work.  When each of the "I" statements becomes about me personally, rather than just God watching out for me, it reminds me of my responsibility to reach out to others, to be the aid that they need.

I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand

And it isn't just about about helping others.  It's about standing with them, mourning with them, bearing their burdens.

For I will be with thee,

It's about holding them near, caring for them, lifting them up.

Like lambs shall they still in my bosom be borne.  

The final stanza is a beautiful promise that God will never forsake us.  It's also a reminder of the kind of person I want to be--the person that never turns away one in need.

The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, I'll never, no never,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake.
 
Click here to read all 7 verses.  




No comments:

Post a Comment