Friday, December 14, 2012

Blessed Are the Peacemakers. I Hope.

I have a gift.  It really is a gift even though for most of my life, it has caused me a lot of pain.  I've decided that instead of letting it keep hurting me, I need to embrace it and use it for good.

The news and Facebook and Twitter tell me that there aren't many people like me left in the world.  I'm really hoping that is not true.  Because what the world really needs now is more people like me, or maybe just for those of us that have suffered with this gift to step up and reach out.

I have the unique gift to be able to see and understand both sides of any argument.  Seriously. Test me. Maybe it should have been obvious when in Jr. High I chose to do a paper on Hitler.  I am in no way condoning any of the atrocities he committed, and genocide is about as far as you can get from my philosophy of love and compassion for all.  But...I also saw a man that had been deeply hurt. Does it excuse his actions?  Absolutely not. However, I did feel his pain.  I felt the pain of a nation that had been beaten.  I saw how easy it would have been to follow this leader, one who actually did a few good things and was determined to make his country a world power again after the loss of World War I had crushed them.

My gift has caused a lot of pain and anxiety in my life.  Election season alone nearly did me in.  In the past two weeks, two other events have shaken my Facebook world.  I'm purposely being vague here, because I don't want people searching for these topics and finding my blog and leaving nasty comments.  (I'll probably get enough of those from my paragraph on Hitler.)

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago,  a church launched a new website about a certain minority group.  I felt that it was a step in the right direction.  A small step, but a very good thing.  But some of my friends didn't see it that way.  And I get it.  They were very hurt by the policies and cultural practices of the church during the 70's, 80's, and 90's.  They see it as too little too late.

Then, some lovely women I know created an event to open a dialogue about issues that concern them.  Whether or not this is the right way to start the dialogue, they put themselves out there, embraced the vulnerability that is necessary for true connection...and were viciously attacked.  Although some good conversations have grown out of it, there has also been a lot of hatred--name calling, threats of violence, even one documented death threat.  I just don't get this.  It is so completely foreign to me that I don't know how to deal with it.  This was my FB status a couple of days ago, and it was the only way I knew to address all my feelings of frustration from the last several months.

I'm grateful that I have friends that are so passionate about what they think and believe. I just sometimes wish that some of them could take a little more time to discuss the issues and try to understand the other side rather than just condemning them or resorting to name calling and threats of violence. The fact that you have not experienced something does not mean that no one has ever had to deal with it. The fact that you haven't felt it doesn't mean that no one else feels that way. Empathy and love, people. That's all I'm asking.

Today, I have a new plan, well at least the beginning of a new plan.  People are yelling so loudly that they are not listening.  People are so afraid of being hurt or losing something that is important to them that they can't see or feel what the other side sees and feels.  I refuse to continue to sit quietly watching people I care about destroy each other.  It's time to be a bridge.  It's time to be a peacemaker.  It's time to listen.  It's time to help others see what I have seen.  

I love this post from Shannon Hale.  You should also check out the other post she references.

Finally, watch this video.  Then really think about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment