Monday, September 28, 2009

My notes are missing

I'm a little frustrated. I sat down to write tonight I realized that I don't have the notes I need. I'm hoping they are at school and I can get these blogs written while the ideas are still fresh in my mind. Last week I attended a workshop on autism and then the next night I attended a lecture by a neurologist on ADHD and Autism and nutrition. Now I have several blogs I'd like to write based on things I learned there and what they made me think about.



Here's what you can you can look forward to in the next week or so.



Differences: In a video shown at the autism workshop, one man with autism said something about wishing the world would stop viewing autism as a disability and see it as a difference. I will write a little about differences, but also how many similarities I saw when comparing my experiences with those of people with autism.



Behaviors vs. Deficits: We received great diagrams showing how the behavior problems are really just the tip of the iceberg. We see the behavior problems in autism because there are deficits and it is those deficits that need addressing. If they are addressed, the behavior issues improve. I'm of the opinion that this is not just about autism. So often we look at the outside appearance or the behavior and judge/react based on that, when really we need to look deeper if we are to truly understand and help people.



Balance and Interconnectedness: I am fascinated by the chemistry of the brain. I'm also fascinated with how our attempt to "fix" one thing often throws off another. Unfortunately this applies to life as well.

So, as soon as I find my notes, you'll hear more about all of that.

1 comment: