Saturday, September 5, 2009

Listening to my body

I wish my brain and my body would function well on the same days. The last few days have been very productive in terms of getting things ready for school. I've been excited about things and have remained really focused while working. The problem is, that I've been so focused on my work that I haven't been listening to my body trying to tell me that I need to take a break. The last 2 nights I've literally been ill by the time I got home and ended up going to bed really early.

One of the most difficult challenges for me in dealing with fibromyalgia is pacing. On the bad days, you feel so awful that you don't get much done beyond what is absolutely required, and some days you can't do that. So when you have a good day, the tendency is to want to catch up. I feel fine so why shouldn't I do a,b, and c. And maybe d-p as well. Overdoing leads to more bad days. I know that, so why can't I do something about it.

My body is my friend. It does give me subtle warnings telling me when to back off and relax. If I do that, life is good. If I quit listening to my body, it has to yell louder and do whatever it can to get my attention.

One of my goals for this school year is to listen to my body more. I need to set limits on what I can do, even on those things I love to do. I've already scheduled the last lessons of the day for the school year. I'm not taking any students later than the ones that are already on the schedule. It's a start.

I'm looking forward to this long weekend. Yes, I have a lot to do, but nothing I have to do on someone else's timetable, so I plan to take lots of breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment