Saturday, January 23, 2010

My latest binge food

I am happy to announce that I've done extrememely well avoiding that list of foods that I seem to have no control over. You remember them: cookies, cakes, candies, pies, french fries, white bread, potato chips. Basically, I've cut out all junk food and it really helps, but there is a deeper issue. I'm an emotional eater. When I'm stressed, like I have been for the last few weeks, my eating gets out of control.

I need comfort foods. Today it was blueberry bagels with strawberry cream cheese. I think I had enough today to count the blueberries as a serving of fruit. Scary, but true. Rationing doesn't work. If it's in the house, I eat it. So I guess, another beloved favorite is being added to the list of things that I can't bring home.

In a counseling session once, it was recommended that when I am eating emotionally, I should substitute a healthier food for the bad one. I do like carrots, but I'm sorry, they just don't cut it when you need something to calm you down. Carrots are not a substitute for potato chips or gold fish.

What I really need to do is get back to exercising every day and doing my deep breathing exercises. Both do a lot to help me keep my stress, eating, and weight in check. I know it. I just need to do it. The good news is that I went to the gym tonight. I didn't stay long, but I do feel better.

If you have ideas for great low-cal comfort foods, please let me know. I want foods that are warm, flavorful and creamy. I actually found a really good low-cal butternut squash soup that seems to satisfy that need for comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment