Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Fearless Freak

I spent way too much time on Facebook today. While wasting time there, I used the superhero name generator. My superhero name is The Fearless Freak. I actually laughed out loud when it came up. Mostly because it was really stupid. I'm not sure if it is better or worse than my friend's which has something to do with a squirrel.

But then I started to think about it. Weird, strange, bizarre, crazy and now freak are all words that could have negative connotations, but that I've chosen to embrace. I AM weird and strange. Normal people are boring.

If you know me very well, you know that I am a word freak. So, let's examine what it really means to be The Fearless Freak. (All definitions are from an ancient edition of Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.)

The definitions of freak that I like and embrace are: one that is markedly unusual or abnormal (There is very little about me that is usual or normal.); a highly individualistic critic or rebel; an ardent enthusiast.

An enthusiast is one who tends to give himself completely to whatever engages his interest. A synonym for ardent is impassioned.

Fear is an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger; anxious concern. Fearless is free from fear: brave

The freak part I have down. Fearless, not so much.

What are superheroes? What is our fascination with them? I'm sure you could find some amazing answer somewhere else, but here's what I think. I think that we invent superheroes as a way to deal with our own inadequacies. I can't do it, but a man of steel with tremendous strength whose only weakness is Kryptonite, can surely save the world. And it's not just that we are inventing characters to take care of the things we can't. In a way they are our alter egos. They are who we would choose to be if we really had that choice. They are who we strive do be when we do have a choice.

So, The Fearless Freak is not just my funny name on Facebook. I'm choosing to adopt her, to become more like her. I will try to be more brave, to let go of my anxieties, to prepare for danger, but not make myself sick in anticipation of things that may or may not happen. I intend to passionately commit to whatever tasks I undertake, "to boldly go where no man has gone before." (Oops. Wrong movie.)

I'm taking suggestions on what The Fearless Freak's powers, costume, and cool gadgets should be. I'll write more about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment