Sunday, August 4, 2013

Day 1 Gluten-Free

When I saw my doctor last week, we I told him that my digestive system had been even more temperamental than usual, so he suggested that I do a gluten elimination diet to see if gluten may be part of the problem.  I've done a lot of reading about Fibromyalgia and food sensitivities, and gluten is at the top of the list for things that people with Fibromyalgia might have issues with.  Some of the reading I've done suggests going off all the possible culprits at once and then adding them back in one at a time to see exactly what the issues are.  I suspect that I may also have intolerances for dairy, chocolate, corn, legumes, and nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers).  But eliminating all of that would mean totally re-working my diet and I don't have the time, resources, and patience to do that all at once.  So, I'm starting with the gluten and I'll see if that makes any difference.

The good news is that I used last week as a trial run and actually lost a couple of pounds.  I didn't go completely off gluten, but I did buy gluten free products for my lunches at work and I didn't do pastas or breads very much for dinners at home.  I found that I like the Amy's Rice Mac and Cheese even more than the regular version.  I also love their enchiladas, but they didn't like me back.  That could have been the corn, the beans, or the tomatoes.  Or it might just have been that my stomach didn't like anything that day.  I seriously have days that water causes digestive pain.

Anyway, today is Day 1 gluten-free.  I'll be keeping my food diary here, so posts will be pretty boring for awhile.  But blogging about the food is much easier than remembering where I put the notebook that I was writing things down in.

Breakfast this morning:  Pepper Jack Cheese and grapes

No comments:

Post a Comment