Friday, August 5, 2011

Where the Music Comes From

I have a student working on Lee Hoiby's "Where the Music Comes From" and we had a wonderful discussion yesterday about what we think the words meant to the composer and what they mean to each of us.

This is a pretty good recording, although she doesn't sing it quite the way I would. (Each singer brings their own life experiences to the music, which of course, would make her performance different from mine).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lacnk2cwElU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You can read the text here:
http://stephanieadrian.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/lee-hoiby-where-the-music-comes-from/

A while back, I wrote a post about some of my theme songs, songs that have given me courage and strength over the last 20 years. Those songs include "Hold On" from Secret Garden, "Defying Gravity" from Wicked, and "I Am What I Am" from La Cage aux Folles. I think "Where the Music Comes From" is my current theme song. (Glenda will be so proud that I've finally got an Art Song as a theme song. And you should remember that I recently posted about 3 of the most beautiful pieces ever written and 2 were Art Songs and the other was an opera aria.)

Just that list provides insight to where I've been in my journey. "Hold On" was a reminder from a dear friend that even when it seemed like the world and my health were conspiring against me, I could ride out the storm and still succeed. "Defying Gravity" was when I finally quit letting the world (and my health) get to me and I decided to push the boundaries and do what was right for me. "I Am What I Am" was about accepting and loving myself and giving up worrying about what the rest of the world thinks.

"Where the Music Comes From" is the essence who I am, who I've always been, the person that was trapped under all that other garbage. It is peace, but it's also a hunger, a desire to connect with the beauty all around, to the oneness of all that is. I want to grow. I want to feel. I want to love.


-- Posted from my iPhone





No comments:

Post a Comment