Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Learning at my own pace

I very clearly remember that when I was in elementary school I really wished I could go to a school where I could learn at my own pace. There were many areas where I felt held back by the other kids who were progressing at an average rate. There were also some things that I wanted and needed more time on to feel like I really knew and understood.

As a student, and as a teacher I have been frustrated by deadlines. "All students should master these skills by this date" just doesn't work for me. Voice lessons gives me a little more freedom to help the student see that the journey is more important than the destination, but still I have to deal with getting kids ready for an audition or contest by a certain date. And these kids really want to do these things.

I have had several students over the years with sincere desire and a great work ethic that simply are not yet vocally ready for what they want to do. And it's not their fault or mine. They will get there eventually, but probably long after these current opportunities have passed.

It's not just school where we see this. Even at church, there is the pressure of a "deadline". We are reminded to always put things in an eternal perspective (in the big picture, does it really matter that your friend got in the musical and you didn't), but at the same time, we get one lifetime to get it together, and if you don't, too bad for you for all of eternity. Sometimes it makes me want to believe in reincarnation where I keep getting chances until I get it right.

I don't have a solution for learning at your own pace in formal education or religion, but I have found a wonderful gift in Tai Chi. I have found a place where I can learn and grow as fast or as slow as I need to. There is no perfection in Tai Chi. There is always something to work on and improve. How many new moves we learn may be dictated by how quickly the class is picking up on it, but there is no piece of paper stating that we must get to such and such a point by a certain date. And if the overall learning pace is slower than mine, then I can use the extra repetitions to take it to a deeper level. I never feel like I am wasting time or being held back. If the overall pace of the class is a little faster than mine, then I do the best I can to get the overall shape and know that I will have time to improve later. I am not articulating this well, but what I'm trying to say is that for the first time in my life, I am really enjoying something (and hopefully improving too) without the pressure of deadlines or competition or having to be perfect. I'm simply doing what is right for me right now. And it's wonderful.



-- Posted from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Excellent thoughts. I don't do Tai Chi, but I have practiced yoga (my mom is an instructor) and it is the same. You do it at your own level, and you don't ever feel like you have to compare to the person on the mat next to you. It's a nice feeling. I also like how they say that you "practice" yoga, instead of just doing it, because it recognizes that nobody can do it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete