Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Why I'm not a fan of seafood

I've never really liked the taste of seafood, plus when served, it too often resembles what it looked like alive. I'm not a vegetarian, but I do have issues with the whole eating animals thing.

Yesterday at the Tibetan Medicine Conference, someone asked the panel about how Tibetans view the vegetarian diet. An important part of Tibetan medicine is identifying your constitution and then making choices about your food, activities, etc. based on that. Some people need a high protein diet and some need very little in the way of animal proteins. One of the panelists (an MD that uses aspects if Tibetan medicine in her practice) commented that Tibetan Buddhists do not each much fish. According to her, Buddhists see the taking of a life as something serious and 1fish feeds fewer people than 1cow. I almost laughed, not because it was a ridiculous concept, but because I've thought that my entire life, and thought I was completely alone. I won't eat shrimp because it takes several lives to make 1meal, but I do eat beef because many people can be fed by that one animal.

Maybe I was a Tibetan Buddhist in a former life. :)



-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment