Monday, August 17, 2009

Needs vs. wants

I have big issues with this topic, and not for the reasons you might think. Most people tend to think that their "wants" are needs. For example, the school kids that are on free lunch and can't afford pencils and paper, but have $200 sneakers and the lastest phone and/or mp3 player. Something about that just seems wrong to me, but maybe I'm just jealous.

On the other hand, there is very little in this world that I would classify as a true "need." I don't need or want a TV and I probably won't have one anytime in the near future. But what about technology specifically for use in my job? My "stereo system" is a hand-me down boom-box that is at least 14 or 15 years old and both speakers don't always work at the same time. My computer was purchased for next to nothing when the company my roommate worked for got new computers. It's getting old and having issues, but I just can't justify the expense of a new computer, when this isn't totally dead yet.

And now to the real issue--internet access. I have dial-up and consider that a want. I can live without both the computer and internet access. But...high speed internet would make my life (and work) so much easier. In order to have my business function at an optimal level, is it a need yet ? I don't know. But I do think I'm going to find out a little more today. Sometimes you "need" to do things that take you out of your comfort zone. I just hope that all these recent business "needs" turn out to make my work more effective, efficient, and enjoyable and that the time and energy I save will help me to take care of myself better.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you can get phone and high speed bundled together at a reasonable price. We got our phone and high speed (the lowest high speed) for a rate that was about $10 cheaper than our phone bill and the dial-up bill added together. But that was a few years ago and with a different company than you would probably have.

    ReplyDelete