Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Yes, I am a Feminist

I'm a feminist.  And it's not as scary as some people might think.  Like any group, we have a variety of experiences and views.

If you haven't heard of Ordain Women, you probably will soon.  Ordain Women is a group of Mormon feminists that have decided that now is the right time to bring attention to women's issues in general and specifically to the need for ordination for women.  Not every Mormon feminist is involved in this movement, and many have concerns and reservations about it.  What I've seen though is that my feminist friends are sincerely interested in the experiences, feelings, and opinions of others.  They want to understand people with whom they may not agree.

This morning I read a blog post by a friend.  I appreciate her willingness to share her views and her positive experiences in the church, but I was concerned by her characterization of my feminist friends.  So I wrote this in response.

I appreciate your willingness to have this discussion. I think it is wonderful that the church has been such a positive experience for you. That is not the case for every woman. I know and love many of the women involved in this movement. They are not defiant. They are women (and men) earnestly seeking to know the will of the Lord. Many of them are active and temple recommend holders. Many of them have studied and prayed and received personal revelation that this is the course that they should take. The common arguments that motherhood equals priesthood or that women have the priesthood in the temple do not heal the deep wounds of inequality that they feel.

Revelation comes because people ask questions. That's why the church was restored through Joseph Smith. We have the Word of Wisdom because Emma had a concern that she took to Joseph who took it to the Lord. The majority of the revelations of the early church happened because someone needed more light and understanding and asked a question. Changes in church policy (and sometimes even revelations about new doctrine) happen when enough people ask questions and share their thoughts, and then the leaders prayerfully consider the best way to move forward. That opens the door for our Heavenly Father to reveal more to us.

I don't know what the end result of this movement with be. Some of my sisters hope that it does result in ordination for women. My hope is that it opens the doors for difficult discussions about what it means to be a woman in this church, and how people can feel more fully a part of the church. Women are not less in the true gospel, but in many ways, the current policies of the church make them feel that way. It is not Satan whispering in their ears that makes them feel this way. It is the well-meaning, but often misguided choices of other members and leaders.

If nothing else comes of this, I pray that we learn to listen more and love more.

I am a Mormon feminist.  These two scriptures form the foundation of my feminist beliefs.  

This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Matthew 22:38-40

...and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;  Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort...
Mosiah 18:8-9

Feminists are not evil, scary, monsters.  They are your sisters (and even your brothers).  I invite you to learn more about them, and if you need to disagree, that's fine.  Just do so with understanding and respect.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Jeannine. I am a feminist too. And I've been absolutely dumbfounded by the animosity that I am observing as a result of this movement. Sisters against sisters! It's ugly. Truly ugly. It has no place in this or any church claiming to follow Christ. On the other hand, I am not surprised by it, which is sad. I'm not sure why my (or another sister's) doubts should rankle other sisters so completely. I wrote a lengthy response to a blog just yesterday to this effect. My doubts are my own, they do not involve or affect you, I am entitled to them and to resolve them as I see fit, I am as entitled to know and recognize truth as you are, and our truth will not always be the same because we are not the same. Now scoot over and make room for me on the pew, please, because this is my church too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, dear friend. And amen. ;-)

    ReplyDelete