Saturday, August 14, 2010

Surrender

I have to tell you about an amazing woman I talked to today. She has lost over 130 pounds in the last 10 months. That's not the amazing part though. The amazing part is how. Yes, she had bariatric surgery, but that was the last thing she told me about. The focus of our chat was where she thinks the true success came from--total surrender and total obedience. She asked God to take away her desire for food and give her a desire for exercise. And because of her commitment and faith, that has happened.

Surrender was a choice that made sense. She had already chosen it in other areas of her life, and asked herself "why not this too?".

I love the idea of surrender, and I believe it works and can change lives. But, I'm not very good at it. Because I've had to take care of myself for so much of my life,it is really hard to rely on someone else, even God, to take care of me. To trust and let it go is hard. My friend's amazing weight loss is quite an achievement, but I'm more impressed with her surrender, her giving this problem to God and trusting that he will bring about what is best for her. Her faith is amazing and it is motivating, both for her and the people around her. What a great example!




-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment