Saturday, July 25, 2009

Goodbye old friends (Quitting--part II)

I don't have much profound to say, but wanted to report that since the last post, I haven't had candy, cake, pie, cookies, chocolate (yes, I consider it a category completely separate from candy), chips, fries, or caffeine. However, I did have a whole loaf worth of peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches on Wonder White Bread during those first few days, so technically my sugar consumption was still pretty high. The good news is, I know I'm over the worst. The bad news is, I can never go back. My body just can't do these in moderation. I can either never eat them and be perfectly happy (and I was before) or I can eat them non-stop. It gets really scary. Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, double chocolate fudge brownies, Nacho Cheese Doritos, diet Dr. Pepper, Double Stuff Oreos--they will only be memories now.

Now I just need to renew my relationship with an old friend--the gym. I really love to exercise. People laugh when I say that, but I do. I love the way it makes me feel. I love getting all sweaty and gross (if I don't have to go anywhere other than the gym). The gym and I were good friends before I got so busy last year and would come home too late and too exhausted to move.

Another Facebook friend (and relative) just won a 5K in her age group. My knees can't take running that far (there is a knee problem unrelated to my weight problem), but I'm inspired by the number 5. My goal is to walk it.

2 comments:

  1. What strength you have! I had a bad week, sugarwise, because my father-in-law visited and brought 4 boxes of chocolates and 1/12 pounds of fudge. Argh! AND we went out to eat five times this week.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family=sugar. I had gone more than a year without sugar and then spent the holidays with my family and thought I could have a little just to be polite. It's taken me this long to get back on track.

    I hope you had a great visit with your father-in-law and enjoyed all the wonderful food and treats.

    ReplyDelete