Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas, Church, and Mental Illness

Christmas Eve seems like a weird day to post about mental illness, but since this season is often a difficult time for those dealing with mental illnesses, there really is no better time.

This is a season of faith and hope, but they cannot alone remove the heavy burden of mental illness.  Mental illness is complex and for most people the treatment of mental illness is also complex.  Although prayer and other practices related to an individual's spirituality can be helpful, they are not sufficient for most of us.  Necessary treatments might include medications, dietary adjustments, lifestyle adjustments, counseling, and/or other services provided by mental health professionals.   If you or someone you love is suffering today, please take the time to explore these resources (and the additional links that you find within these.)  They help explain some of the common misconceptions about mental illness and it's treatments that we encounter in religious communities.

https://www.lds.org/topics/disability/list/mental-illness

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2005/10/myths-about-mental-illness?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/like-a-broken-vessel?lang=eng&query=mental+illness

If you sincerely want to help someone with mental illness of any kind, read this:
http://rationalfaiths.com/sad-souls-happy-valley/

And this from Chelsea Weidmann:
Am I still welcome here?
Are you sure?
What if I don't get better within 3 months?
Can you accept that this isn't guilt and repentance isn't the solution?
Can I be just as worthy as you?
Will you please stop saying "forget yourself and get to work," "count your blessings," "the best way to forget your troubles is to serve someone else," and/or lecturing on all the ways my being mentally ill is ruining my children?
Will you trust that I am seeking healing in the best way for me, and stop suggesting doTERRA oils and berating antidepressant meds?
Can you go the rest of forever without telling me how much worse someone else's trial is?
How about we never, ever say that to anyone ever again?
If I open up to you and admit that today the demons are winning and I'm scared, will you be brave enough to return the email/text/phone call?
I will be a daily reminder "that but for the grace of God, go [you]." Can you stand to look at me?
Are you sure?
What if I can never serve as much as you ask me to?
Am I still welcome if all I can do is not die?
If I cannot help perfect the saints or preach the gospel, can I still be yours?
Can you love me for who I am, not what I bring to the table?
What if I try to get better every single day, but I never do?
Can you still love me?
Will you?
Are you sure?


No comments:

Post a Comment