Sunday, July 13, 2014

Armor vs. Amor (Armor Up, 2.5)

I'm a word nerd.  I love knowing how language evolved, so word origins fascinate me.  I also like to see connections that really have no relationship to the actual word origin.  I thought at-one-ment was a great way to think about atonement, even though it has no real connection to the word origin.

As I was working on my Armor Up series, I noticed that armor is just a small typo away from the Spanish word amor.  (Actually I was thinking of the British spelling armour and the French word amour, but the connection works either way.)

I thought of how I usually think about each of these words.

Armor--cold, hard, metallic, blocks or stops things, protects us.

Amor (Love)--warm, soft, open, vulnerable.

At this point in my life, I'd much rather live in Love, even with all it's vulnerability.  But is there a way to have both?  How do we meld these two?  Can I both protect myself and be vulnerable?   How do I build my protection out of Love?

These are the questions I'm exploring as I redesign and redefine my armor of God.  You can read the first post in the Armor Up series here.

No comments:

Post a Comment