Sunday, April 26, 2009

Covenants

Stephanie at diapersanddivinity.com (sorry, don't know how to make that a link yet) has a General Conference Book Club where she chooses a talk from Conference and then over the week, she and her readers share their thoughts, feelings, insights, etc. This is my comment in reponse to this week's talk.

(This is in reponse to a post by Becoming LDS.) I too thought about what covenants I had made. I like Elder Ballard's idea of the periodic review. Thanks for the link to the chart.
I get really overwhelmed when I think about covenants and how all-encompassing they are. Although I can understand intellectually how obeying commandments and keeping covenants actually frees us, I freak out over how much there is to do. (That's pretty common in my life.) I decided to apply something I've been doing in the rest of my life to my covenant keeping: mini-goals. Actually micro-mini goals. On my fridge is a list of about 12 things that HAVE TO happen every day. I consider it a good day if I get 4 of those done. By setting the bar low, I'm not so overwhelmed and I get more done that if I try to do all 12. Yesterday I hit 8 and felt great about it. (By the way, I don't think I've ever actually done all 12 in one day. And you know what? The world didn't come to an end.)

So I chose three things this week from my baptisimal covenants to think about more and try to do more. Am I doing everything I have covenanted to do? No, but I'm doing more than I was yesterday and I'm headed the right direction. As these 3 things get easier, I can add others. "Line upon line."

No comments:

Post a Comment